Entry 3
This week, I have learned how to say the names of different food in Malay. I once did a presentation regarding Malaysia with my friends. The part that I was responsible for is exactly the diverse types of food in Malaysia. When I was preparing for the presentation, I had encountered words like satay, laksa, nasi lemak, etc. Yet, honestly speaking, I did not have to go up on the stage and present so I did not really look for the pronunciations of these vocabularies. Fast forward to this week, I have been provided with an opportunity to learn to speak these vocabularies, which means memorizing them and understanding more about their spellings and pronunciations. It takes quite a bit of hard work to do so. I am still working on it. Meanwhile, I need to give thanks to my Malaysian classmate. No matter what time it is, during the time for practising in class or after school, as long as I need help with learning to speak these vocabularies, she is willing to help me out and teach me the most Malaysian pronunciations patiently. Here are the words of dishes I have learned this week. Firstly, “nasi lemak”. It is rice cooked in coconut milk. Secondly, “satay” meaning meat on a stick with different sauces like the most famous one, peanut sauce. Thirdly, “ketupat” is a kind of dumplings. It is filled with rice wrapped inside by using coconut leaves. Fourthly, “ikan bakar” is a grilled fish dish. Fifthly, “laksa” is a type of spicy food. It contains noodles and spicy soup. The sixth vocabulary is “nasi kerabu”. The most significant point of this cuisine is its blue rice. The seventh one is “apam balik” which is a large pancake packed with sugar and peanuts. The fillings are variable so some people may place other food like corn in it. For the eighth one, “lemang”, it is filled with glutinous rice mixed with coconut milk. Sounds pretty similar to nasi lemak, right? However, the main difference between these two dishes is that lemang is cooked in bamboo. The ninth one is “kaya toast”. It is a toast with coconut custard jam and ample butter on it. It is sweet just by thinking of it. The last one is “rojak”. If I see a fried dough fritter with fruits, vegetables and shrimp paste in the future, I think I know how to order it by calling out its name in Malay. I cannot wait to go to Malaysia and try out all these food and practically use these words I learned.
Additionally, while I was browsing the internet for the names of those Malaysian food, it reminded me of the feeling I had back in the time I did the research for the presentation. I was amazed by the large varieties of Malaysian food.
Besides, I am trying to memorize some common names of food in Malay, including daging lembu as beef, ayam as chicken, ketam as crab, buah as fruit and daging babi as pork. It is interesting to see how different places interpret the same object in their own languages.
留言
張貼留言