Entry 1

There has been a variety of languages which I have got the chance to encounter up to this point of my life. For example, when I was browsing channels on Youtube, some topics of the videos were challenges of people recognizing different foreign languages. I once saw a video about a couple trying to diffrentiate Sweden and Italian. It sparked my curiosity and motivated me to learn an Italian sentence or two by using online resources. However, after a while, some German movies have drawn my attention to the complicated yet interesting language which was German. Therefore, I watched a number of Youtube videos teaching this language online and tried to be self-educated. Though the result might not be that remarkable, I was extremely thrilled since the moment when I was starting to understand a few words or even sentences in those German movies. Though both of the languages were exciting to learn, studying both of them were like flings for me. Korean have been the one that I have studied for the longest period of time. For learning Korean, I bought books and read them in my leisure time. I used to bring everywhere so that I can learn in any time I wanted. Additionally, I watched quite a few Korean dramas and reality shows in order to familiarize myself with it. As it turned out watching the shows were easier for me to memorize some regularly used phrases, I divided my study plan in two parts. Learning the grammar by reading the guiding book and watching the shows for understanding how to use distinct phrases. I have become more and more well acquainted with this language but there are still a lot of things for me to learn in this language. Yet, these were all stories back in the days when I was still a high school student. After I have been an undergraduate, I was provided with another chance to learn a whole new foreign language, Spanish. I have taken a class in the first semester of my university life. In that class, my teacher kept on reminding us the importance of pronunciation. He usually told our class to form in pairs and practise. Besides, he helped us recite numbers and names of places every week. This class has not only helped me with my spanish but also known more about the power of spanish nowadays.
  Now, I have been given another chance to learn a new language. This time, I have chosen Malay. There are two main reasons for me to choose it. First of all, it sounds quite complex to me. The writing version of it is full of english letters but I just do not understand after combining them so I think it can be challenging to learn. Secondly, after I have come to Taiwan, I have been having more chances to communicate with Malaysians who speaks Malay. Learning it can be helpful for me to build a closer relationship with them and broaden my horizons. To conclude, learning foreign languages has been interesting for me since I was much younger and I am looking forward to learn Malay in this semester.

留言

  1. Agree. Relationships can be very useful for learning a language. Goooood idea!

    I enjoyed reading your stories very much. It is remarkable that you have learned many languages. However, when you said in the essay, "...after I came to Taiwan," I became curious. So, you are not a local student? Where are you from exactly?

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 作者已經移除這則留言。

      刪除
    2. Thank you and yes, I am not a local student. I am from Hong Kong. :)

      刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Entry 10

Entry 6

Entry 9